Use Stage-Gate® Ready certified templates to set up projects quickly and consistently.
You may have the best innovation strategy and bold project ideas, but none of it counts without successful project execution.
A stage & gate product development process has been proven time and again to significantly improve success rates for developing new products. Over 70% of NPD organizations in the United States use stage & gate, but not all achieve good results, as many lack the rigor, best-practice or ease-of-use of a lean, high performance Stage-Gate system, or fail to integrate it with portfolio, project and resource management.
Our software has been certified by Stage-Gate International as a high performance Stage-Gate system. It also supports project management best practices, as defined by the Project Management Institute. Project teams can now deliver projects more effectively, gatekeepers can make timely project interventions and executives get clear visibility and predictability into their innovation pipelines.
Our Projects Module can be deployed standalone, or integrated with our portfolios, ideation and products modules.
- How do we track and improve our NPD success rates?
- How can we achieve best-practice, agile stage-gate processes?
- How can we streamline & accelerate our project time-to-market?
- What is our single system of truth for all project information?
- Eliminate disconnected tools like spreadsheets, shared folders & MS Project.
<< image here >>
Stage & Gate Project Templates
Setting up a stage and gate project manually adds an extra burden on project leaders, and reduces the consistency and quality of projects in your portfolio.
Using disjointed tools like spreadsheets, shared document folders and MS Project to manage project information increases the burden on project teams even more, further reducing quality and productivity.
Our software automates the set up of entire stage & gated projects, using configurable stage & gate templates. Once created, project leaders can then modify their project as required. Other types of project template can also set up (capital, six sigma, IT, etc) to provide a single system for all your project management needs.
- Stage & gate templates to support different types of project.
- Use criteria to select the best project template to use.
- Automatically create new projects from selected template.
- Template includes stages, deliverables, schedule, roles, forms etc.
Deliverables & Schedule
Successful product development relies on producing the right information at the right time, to de-risk projects, make gate decisions and launch products on time.
Our software enables project teams to identify deliverables that need to be completed at each stage, plan the work to a realistic timeline, and use online forms and document templates to capture essential information. Team track progress and adjust the project plan to reflect additional work or time needed to complete a high-quality stage.
- Adjust stage deliverables to meet scope of the project.
- Assign cross-functional team members to deliverables and tasks.
- Plan project schedule and critical-path dependendencies.
- Track deliverable completion and variance to plan.
- Take baselines at each gate to set next stage commitments.
Cost, Resources & Financials
Project leaders are often asked: How much will the next stage cost? What resources will you need? Will you be within budget? How profitable will the project be?
Our software provides the tools for project leaders to answer these questions quickly and reliably. Project leaders estimate work needed from different resources types, and track how much actual work was done using integrated time sheets. Project teams estimate capital and expenses by stage or task, and track actual spend by importing data from your financial system. Labor costs are automatically calculated by applying labor rates to planned and actual hours worked.
We also include a full project business case to calculate key financial metrics such as NPV, IRR, payback period and profitability index. See our Product Business Case for more information.
- Identify planned resources needed to complete each stage
- Capture actual project effort using time sheets.
- Estimate project capital and expense by stage or task.
- Import actual project costs from your financial system.
- Predict totals, adding actual-to-date plus estimate-to-complete.
Risks & Issues
Risk and uncertainty are inherent to innovation, so a project team should be proactive in identifying, quantifying and controlling project risk.
Our software helps you identify risks and maintain a risk register. Evaluate each risk by its impact and probability and calculate a severity score to prioritize mitigation and contingency actions. Use scorecards to assess overall probability of technical and commercial success and factor that in to your project de-risking activities and financial projections.
- Maintain risk register to track and mitigate project risks.
- Assess probability of technical & commercial success.
- Track all issues in a single system and assign to team members.
- Enable team members to raise 'red flags' for stage execution.
- Gatekeepers review all risk regiser as part of a gate decision.
Ensuring your gates 'have teeth', as Dr Robert Cooper puts it, is one of the essential elements of a good development process. If your gate decisions never kill, rework or hold projects, then your stage & gate process will be ineffective.
Our software enables you to schedule gate meetings on a timely basis, prompting gatekeepers to review gate deliverables prior to the meeting. Gatekeepers complete online gate checklists, scorecards and votes, and assess risks, red flags, schedule and resources for the next stage. Finally, gatekeepers set gate status to Go, Hold, Rework or Kill, according to agreed criteria, empowering project teams to take the resulting actions.
- Schedule gate meetings for multiple projects.
- Review all gate deliverables and gate presentations.
- Complete gate checklists, scorecard and votes.
- Make Go, Hold, Kill and Rework gate decisions.
- Approve cost, resource and schedule for next stage.
<< screen shot here >>
Project delays are often caused by stage deliverables being poorly coordinated. Team members often have assignments from different projects, and may not be aware of the relative urgency of each task. So they miss deadlines, or rush the work to deliver a lower quality result.
Our software helps project leaders assign work to cross-functional teams - establishing clear accountability for each deliverable. Team members view their prioritized work deadlines across all projects and complete deliverables using online forms or attachments. Communicate quickly using our online 'social wall' for discussions. Update project risks, issues and red flags, as well as submit time sheets for the work performed. Receive automated email alerts for late tasks, deliverables risks and issues.
- Assign stage deliverables, tasks, risks & issues to team members.
- View all work assigned to yourself from multiple projects.
- Collaborate with others using 'social wall' & receive notifications.
- Full document management versioning and control.
- Complete time sheets to record your effort on each project.
Agile Stage & Gate Projects
Some leading companies are introducing agile software development concepts into their stage & gate processes. When done well, this can lead to faster, more flexible and ultimately more successful product launches.
Our software supports an agile stage & gate project process, retaining the benefits of a structured development methodology with the advantages of a agile development techniques.
- Identify project risks, assumptions & uncertainties.
- Modify stage deliverables to de-risk the project.
- Manage iterative prototyping & development within each stage.
- Enable overlapping stages.
- Use flexible gate criteria and enable 'pivots' to change direction.
<< screen shot here >>
Communicating project progress and issues can be a time-consuming process. Team members need to communicate status to Project Leaders, who in turn need to keep gatekeepers, steering committees and other project stakeholders informed on a weekly or monthly cycle.
Our software automates this reporting process, ensuring that accurate and relevant information is shared on a timely basis. reports can be viewed online, generated automatically as predefined Powerpoint decks or PDFs that can be automatically emailed to stakeholders.
- Dashboards to review the status and health of each project.
- Project baselines to see how project status changes month by month.
- Rollup reports to show status of all projects in any portfolio.
- Key performance metrics calculated and compared to targets.
- Email project status as PDF or PowerPoint attachments.